March 12, 2008

Viking helm: part VII

Part 1 | Part 2 | Part 3 | Part 4 | Part 5 | Part 6 | Part 7 | Part 8 | Part 9 | Part 10

Heyla,

It's getting closer to being finished, slowly but surely.

I worked on the ocular over the week, specifically cutting it out, and cutting the eyeholes with a jeweler's saw. Here's the pattern I used:



Today, I worked on shaping the ocular, giving it a ridge along the nose, and bending the tip up (I have no basis of evidence for this, but I like the look of it).



I fitted it to the dome, and marked the parts of the brow band that had to be cut out:



Then, I used a punch to 'nibble' the pieces out, then filed them to a nice finish:



I started riveting the ocular on, but I didn't finish, so I didn't take pictures.

Until next time,

James

Part 1 | Part 2 | Part 3 | Part 4 | Part 5 | Part 6 | Part 7 | Part 8 | Part 9 | Part 10

No comments: