March 1, 2008

Viking helm: part V

Part 1 | Part 2 | Part 3 | Part 4 | Part 5 | Part 6 | Part 7 | Part 8 | Part 9 | Part 10

Good evening,

It being Friday (having been, since it's 3:00am), I got more work done on the helmet. First of all, like last time, I did some planishing. I actually did some on Wednesday as well, but since that was all I did, and I didn't do very much, or take any pictures, I decided not to post anything about it. So I finished planishing the other two plates, and tweaked them even more to fit together.

Here's a picture of all four plates looking awesome:



Then, I riveted the browband into a circle. I measured around the band to find the places for the rivets (of which there will be twelve around the brim), and marked all the points. Then I punched the holes on the band and one on the plate.



I then used Erector set bolts to hold the plate in position to make sure it fit, and tweak it once more. Having made sure it was mostly in place, I made a rivet from a roofing nail, cut to 1/4" in length, peened it over, then hammered the outside with my handy tool to make it look nice. Then I punched the other holes in the plate through those of the browband, and riveted those as well.



That's one plate in position. Three more to go, and then I will start on the top bands.

Also, good news: the Ohio Renaissance Festival replied to my email regarding the possibility of a helmet spike; the consensus is that so long as it is on my head when I enter the faire, do not headbutt, and make sure I don't leave it somewhere where someone could get hurt, it's fine. So I will be making that spike soon as well.

Until tomorrow (or later today?),

James

Part 1 | Part 2 | Part 3 | Part 4 | Part 5 | Part 6 | Part 7 | Part 8 | Part 9 | Part 10

No comments: