March 17, 2008

Viking helm: part IX

Part 1 | Part 2 | Part 3 | Part 4 | Part 5 | Part 6 | Part 7 | Part 8 | Part 9 | Part 10

Happy St. Patrick's Day!

I finished the aventail. I cut out all the slits, totaling 69. Here's the brass with all the slits:



Here's a closeup of the slits, showing how big the things actually are:



The way I riveted the thing on was to drill a hole exactly the size of a piece of brass rod, then cut a piece of brass about 1/16" longer than the hole. I then peened one end, turned the piece over, and peened the other side. It looks pretty nice, in my opinion:



I finished the aventail by putting on the mail, which I filched off of my last Viking helm. I inserted a ring into each slit, passing a piece of wire through the brass tube. Then I crimped the ends of the wire, holding everything in place.





All that's left is to add the leather suspension, which may be a little while, as I don't have any leather right now. I plan to sell some Viking helms with rawhide plates soon, and should be buying leather for those. (Incidentally, if you're interested, feel free to email me.)

Until next time,

James

Part 1 | Part 2 | Part 3 | Part 4 | Part 5 | Part 6 | Part 7 | Part 8 | Part 9 | Part 10

No comments: