March 23, 2008

Tools


Happy Easter!

I promised I would post pictures of the tools I used to make my Viking helm, so here I go.

First off, here's my setup of forming tools. In the background, you can see my railroad rail anvil. On the left is my forming dish, made of a tin/lead alloy. Next is my round stake. And on the right is my head form.



Here's my metal shear. It is from Harbor freight, and cuts 16 ga. steel without any trouble.



This is the drill I used to make the holes that I couldn't reach with my punch (such as those on the dome).



Finally, here are the rest of the tools I used. (Click it for a bigger version.)


From left to right:
Whitney punch, #5: used to punch holes that I could reach
Rivet shaper: used to make the rivet domes round and smooth
Super fine point Sharpie
Big clamp
Small clamp
Earplugs
Hand clamp
Bigger clamp
Medium clamp
Pliers (3): the middle one is the one I used to hold rivets while I filed down the flanges (see more here); the top and bottom ones I used to hold the rivet while I filed the tip down
Half round file
Mill file
Ruler
Rubber mallet
Chisel: I used this to lever rivets out of places, open folded brass, etc.
Planishing hammer: I used this more to rivet the brass on that for anything else
End nippers: used to cut rivets
Ball peen/planishing hammer
Awl/center punch
Dishing hammer
Wrench: when things got twisted about, this was the easiest tool to twist it back (this and weighting the other end with my anvil).

I'm sure when I add the suspension, I'll use more tools, so more then.

1 comment: