March 5, 2008

Viking helm: part VI

Part 1 | Part 2 | Part 3 | Part 4 | Part 5 | Part 6 | Part 7 | Part 8 | Part 9 | Part 10

Good morrow,

First off, I would like to show how I make rivets. First, here's a roofing nail unmodified:



Then, I file the flanges down so it will fit flush with the metal surface:



Then, I measure 1/4" from the head and mark it:



I use snips to cut at the mark:



I then file the end to make it flat:



Here it is inserted into the plates:



And this is it from the outside:



I have already posted pictures of the outside peened and finished.

Last Saturday I worked for a while putting together the plates and adding the top bands. I didn't take pictures because I figured it was mid-stage. Anyway, it's now finished. I completed the whole crown; then, I made the top spike. I used a drill to spin a metal rod while I ground it on my bench grinder. The hardest part was riveting the spike on the inside of the dome with a hammer that doesn't fit easily. I managed it, though. Here's a picture:



And a view of the helm as a whole:



And a front view:



And side:



It's looks better in real life. In the above pictures the perspective makes it look funny.

The next step is to make the ocular. I'm not sure yet whether I will use the same pattern as the previous two helms I made or modify it somewhat. We'll see.

Until then,

James

Part 1 | Part 2 | Part 3 | Part 4 | Part 5 | Part 6 | Part 7 | Part 8 | Part 9 | Part 10

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

looks great to me!