February 23, 2008

Viking helm: part III

Part 1 | Part 2 | Part 3 | Part 4 | Part 5 | Part 6 | Part 7 | Part 8 | Part 9 | Part 10

Salutations:

It will not look as though I did much today, but the amount of work greatly outweighs the number of pictures. I'll start by saying I finished the other two plates, which took a lot more tweaking. Then I pounded them against the wooden form, which worked quite well. Here you can see the four plates around the form, showing how they don't quite align on the edges. Still, it's good enough.



I then clamped all the pieces together, which looks slightly better, since the outside of the form is the same size as the inside of the brow band:



I could have started planishing the plates, but that takes forever, and is a bitch. So instead, I worked on the top bands, each 1" wide, and about 7.5" long. I cut out the first one, dished it slightly, and bent it into the approximate shape:



That's all I did today. Next time I shall cut out the other top bands, probably planish, and maybe, hopefully, start riveting. For the rivets, I plan to work them from the outside, and I will probably make a form for them so that I can smash them into a nice round shape on the outside. It will basically be a divot in a piece of rod. More on that when I make it.

My next post may be a week in coming, although I may work more on Wednesday. I also plan to purchase fabric tomorrow, so I might be working on hosen or trousers or what have you.

Until then,

James

Part 1 | Part 2 | Part 3 | Part 4 | Part 5 | Part 6 | Part 7 | Part 8 | Part 9 | Part 10

No comments: