March 15, 2008

Viking helm: part VIII

Part 1 | Part 2 | Part 3 | Part 4 | Part 5 | Part 6 | Part 7 | Part 8 | Part 9 | Part 10

Hail!

The main part of the helm is done.





Next I will be adding the aventail hanger. To start, I experimented with widths of metal to see what size would best work. I ended up with a 1" by 17.5" strip of brass, here shown polished:



To bend it into shape, I took a piece of coat hanger, bent it 90 degrees, and hammered the brass around it bit by bit, moving the hanger along as I went. Here it is post bending:



Here's an extreme close-up of the end of the piece, showing the shape of the bend. The flat side will go along the brow band of the helm.



I started cutting the slits in which the rings will go; I've cut eleven of ~70, and filed seven of those. More pictures when I finish that step.

Until then,

James

Part 1 | Part 2 | Part 3 | Part 4 | Part 5 | Part 6 | Part 7 | Part 8 | Part 9 | Part 10

No comments: