February 22, 2008

Viking helm: part II

Part 1 | Part 2 | Part 3 | Part 4 | Part 5 | Part 6 | Part 7 | Part 8 | Part 9 | Part 10

Good day:

I got some more work done on the helmet. I started making the top pieces, beginning by making a pattern out of tape, which I flattened, transferred to paper, and then to metal:



Then I cut them out:



I started dishing using a different hammer than I ever have before. Instead of using a ball peen as I usually do, I used a modified cross peen, which, although slightly large, worked a lot better. Here is the first section after the first pass:





And second pass:





And third/tweaking pass:





The hammer definitely worked. It took about half an hour to get to the above stage. I then made the second piece, and then tweaked the first to the same shape; that took a lot longer than the previous step. Then, I decided to cut the edges down (I did plan the pieces with extra), and tweaked some more. I think the first two are about the right shape now.



It's true what I said before: I did indeed curse out the pieces o' metal, for such reasons as the edges pinching my hand, not fitting, et cetera.

I plan to make the other two top pieces tomorrow. We'll see how much I curse then. Overall, the profile seems to be looking good. It's taller than I intended, but it doesn't seem to cause any problems.

Until then,

James

Part 1 | Part 2 | Part 3 | Part 4 | Part 5 | Part 6 | Part 7 | Part 8 | Part 9 | Part 10

No comments: