May 20, 2008

Romano-Briton helm: part IV


Good day,

I got a few hours in today on the helm, and it's coming along nicely. The list of things left to do on this helm is getting shorter quite quickly. It appears my estimate of 16 hours was just about right. So far, I've invested 12:30.

Here are the pictures:

First off, here's the shape of the cheekplate:



Which, once formed, looks like this:



And here it is hanging upon the helm:





This is the aventail:



And hanging on the helm:





However, mobility was limited by it, so I modified the aventail to allow more freedom of movement. Now it's possible to bend one's head backwards a good amount.





I find it looks quite like a Roman galea now.

I finally attached the ridge. It looks, in my opinion, quite superb:



And then, since all the rivets on the skull were finished, I painted the inside to prevent rust (per request):



Finally, I cut out and formed the nasal, which looked nice and accurate, before I remember the penny-round corner rule of Dagorhir and Belegarth, so I had to round the bottom end. I will embellish it by adding a piece of brass inset in the middle of it.



Till next time (tomorrow, hopefully),


No comments: