June 25, 2008

Axe sheath


Hello,

So, I bought an axe, and since it's sharp, and I plan to take it to a renaissance fair, I made a sheath for it. I have no progress pictures, but I have finished ones.

Here you are:

Front:


Back:


Those are arbitrary front and back sides, which is why I tooled both sides. I just plan to have the 'front' facing out more often.



June 24, 2008

Romano-Briton helm: part VII


Greetings:

This is the final post about the Romano-Briton helm. It should be on its way to the owner today.

Here's a picture of the inside, with the buckling and such:



And here is an animation showing the helm from all sides:



June 21, 2008

A note to my visitors


Good day:

You may have wondered why I haven't been posting. First of all, my computer went dumb, and it's rather difficult to do anything with it at the moment. Secondly, I've been making shoes, and they've all had problems with them, which is why I haven't been taking pictures. I finally decided to use a different pattern (having messed up three of the four shoes in the pair I was making), and in fact used leather from the first pair I ever made, years ago. All they really needed to be suitable was a skinnier sole.

So, instead of the shoes you've seen so far, I'll post pictures of the finished pair of new ones rather soon.

I also intend to have more pictures of the trousers, and a final picture of the finished Romano-Briton helm. They should be up within the next few days.

Thanks for visiting,


June 11, 2008

Viking shoes 2: part I


Hail and well met.

It's been a while since I've done anything, mostly because it's been hot around here, and when it's hot, I dislike moving.

Anyway, here's the beginning of the third pair of shoes I've made recently. These are for me, and it seems they'll fit this time.

The beginning of attaching the pieces together:



Sewn up one side:



And the other:



And then sewn up the toe:



The hardest part is getting the uppers to fit the same. I have to cut the top edge and sew it to fit, and getting them symmetrical is a challenge. I seem to have gotten pretty close with the pair (pics soon).

Until then.


June 4, 2008

Viking shoes: part II


Good day,

Just to follow up on those shoes, here's a picture of the finished pair.



They are on their way to their new owner.


June 3, 2008

Viking shoes: part I


Hail!

This is a pair of shoes based off of a find in York, which, although intended for myself, do not fit, and which I am selling.

Here is the stitching last I made (which I ended up only using as a surface on which to work):



And with a sole tacked onto it:



Here are a series of pictures illustrating how they are stitched, from start to finish:













And the finished pair:





I shall finish them by adding a tie or toggle, and waxing the pair.


June 2, 2008

Saex & sheath


Hello,

This is a project that I did swiftly and with few pictures. The saex is made from a cheap WalMart machete, with an antler handle, and the sheath is obviously leather and brass.

Here's the basic shape, with the beginning of some tooling (to be honest, a rather useless picture):



Here is the sheath with tooling complete:



And in the sun, to show off the texture:



This is the tip of the sheath, showing how it's sewn:



And these are the belt loops:



Here's the sheath after I added the brass edge. The brass protects the top edge, as well as removing the possibility of the blade cutting through stitching.



And with saex:



I then dyed it. This is Fiebing's Medium Brown dye; rather dark, in my opinion.



I then highlighted the tooling by watering down some paint, and filling in the crevices:



That's it. That's another finished project.


June 1, 2008

Splinted greaves: part II


Hail,

Here are the results of my latest work on my greaves.

First, another strap:





And then another:





That's one greave done. I only have to add buckles and punch holes in the straps. More pictures when I finish the other greave.