June 19, 2009

Dagger sheath: part I


Hello,

I am back after a long dry spell making hardly anything. Now that my summer vacation is over, and my summer classes have started up, I've started making things again (that's how it always is).

You may recall seeing the previous dagger sheath I made (here). While I wish to create more costume pieces for this year's renaissance fair, I have at the moment no materials to do so, so for the time being, I have been searching for things to modify.

My dagger was originally very obviously intended for live steel combat, but I modified it to make it sharp and pointy. I also made the sheath for it, but I based it off of sword scabbards, and as such it was not very accurate.

This new one is solely leather, without a wooden core. This is (according to MyArmoury.com articles) accurate. I also used the book "Knives and Scabbards" to inspire me in terms of decoration.

This is the front, showing the simple knotwork I tooled into it (disregard the mistake, if you can even find it...).



And this is the back, showing the edge-grain stitch I used, as well as the holes for the string to suspend it from my belt.



As to suspension, if anyone knows a good way to hang a sheath with this setup, please let me know.

Best regards,

4 comments:

Axil said...

Really pretty.

Did you tool the leather before, or after ginving form and sewing the scabbard?

How did you do the horizontal lines at the point? Tooling them, or rolling a cord around the wet leather?

Peter K. said...

I tooled it after I sewed it.

And I did indeed roll a cord around it.

Axil said...

Thanks a lot! That's the last clue I needed; now I realise that I was doing it the wrong way...

Anonymous said...

How exactly would that have fastened to a belt? I mean, I know the cord loop would have been used, but was there a specific method to using that loop?