September 14, 2008

Whetstone


Hello people,

It hit me the other day that there is one thing a Viking warrior oughtn't be without which I had somehow neglected to have. A whetstone, obviously, comes in quite handy to hone the axes, knives and saexes the Viking may have. Since I have a total of three bladed implements on my costume this year, I kind of need a sharpening device.

So I went to the river, which was handily low, and wandered around in the dusky light looking for something suitable. Eventually I found a triangular rock of what seems to be a shale or something. I got home, and drilled a hole in one corner, surely dulling my bit at the same time. I threaded it and playtested it. It hones my knife so sharp that it is quite effortless to cut loose paper.

And you didn't think I wouldn't take pictures, did you? (Mind, I generally only post when I have three or more, unless the object's finished. So you know.)





Just something to whet your appetite...

No comments: