August 7, 2008

Viking tunic: part I


Good day.

I'm back. And here, with my newly found time, is the first installment of the tunic series. I bought the fabric from www.fabrics-store.com, where their fabric is exceptionally well priced. I chose an olive green.



It arrived in good time, and I then packed it right up to move. No sense in starting only to find no time to do anything later.

Yesterday, I finally got around to measuring and cutting the fabric, a task made more difficult by a lack of chalk and scissors (packed).

Cut out, in seven pieces:



Last night, I sewed the gore pieces together. I could have cut out solid triangles, but cutting rectangles in half conserves fabric, which is a very Viking solution, despite the fact that I have a considerable amount extra.



I then sewed the sleeves to the body:



And then the gores:



Then I sewed up the sleeves:



And I started sewing up the sides, attaching the other side of the gores in the process.



Till next time,

No comments: