October 7, 2009

Renaissance Fair '09

Good day to you all.

I am sadly late in posting this update, and I have no excuse, so I shall simply post the pictures.

This costume was a swift project, as I had decided only in July that I would be going to a renaissance fair this year. It is based off of some clothing found in the Manesse Codex, so I suppose it's Germanic, but the manuscript is so simply illustrated I may as well call it English.

It is all wool and linen, and is accurate from the skin out (braies and all), and completely hand stitched.








Peter Koby

July 29, 2009

Shoes


Hello,

This pair of shoes was an interesting project. I made the first shoe months ago, found it didn't fit, and dropped the project. Now, I wanted to finish the pair to sell it, but I had lost the second sole. I had to reconstruct the sole for the second shoe with careful measurements of the first.

Here they are:




Note the decorative stitching. This was based off of examples of herringbone stitch found on extant shoes.






They are currently still for sale, so if you're interested, they are a size 8.5 men's. Email me for more info.

Peter Koby

July 14, 2009

Splinted armour


Good day,

This project was a commission, and I wasn't planning on posting any pictures at all, but I do love the look of this one.


Peter Koby

June 29, 2009

Dagger sheath: part III


Hello,

Here, finally, are the pictures of the dagger itself.





And yes, those are hollow rivets:



Peter Koby

June 22, 2009

Dagger sheath: part II


Hello,

Here are the final images of the sheath. I dyed it with a medium brown dye, utilizing the new technique of wetting the leather before application, which made for a smoother finish (the technique is new to me, anyway).





I intend to post a few more photos once I finish rebuilding the dagger.

June 19, 2009

Dagger sheath: part I


Hello,

I am back after a long dry spell making hardly anything. Now that my summer vacation is over, and my summer classes have started up, I've started making things again (that's how it always is).

You may recall seeing the previous dagger sheath I made (here). While I wish to create more costume pieces for this year's renaissance fair, I have at the moment no materials to do so, so for the time being, I have been searching for things to modify.

My dagger was originally very obviously intended for live steel combat, but I modified it to make it sharp and pointy. I also made the sheath for it, but I based it off of sword scabbards, and as such it was not very accurate.

This new one is solely leather, without a wooden core. This is (according to MyArmoury.com articles) accurate. I also used the book "Knives and Scabbards" to inspire me in terms of decoration.

This is the front, showing the simple knotwork I tooled into it (disregard the mistake, if you can even find it...).



And this is the back, showing the edge-grain stitch I used, as well as the holes for the string to suspend it from my belt.



As to suspension, if anyone knows a good way to hang a sheath with this setup, please let me know.

Best regards,

February 16, 2009

Viking Pendant


Greetings and long time unseen!

Recently I celebrated a birthday, and my grandfather sent me a clipping from a magazine with a picture of a Viking warrior. I admit only glancing at it, but when I picked it up a few days later, the warrior's necklace caught my eye.





I had been dabbling in bonework over the past couple weeks, so I decided to undertake this project on a whim. I did most of the hardest work in a couple sittings, aided greatly by House M.D. After the basic shape was sawn from the antler, I paused, as I hadn't a small enough drill bit for the hole.

Today, I bought said drill bit, drilled the hole, did the final decoration, then cut the pendant from the antler and finished up the end. And here it is: