April 27, 2008

Circular pouch: part I


Good day,

In the last week, I started work on a leather pouch similar in shape to one found in Hedeby, Denmark. Instead of the 9" diameter of the original, I made mine 14", as I need to be able to fit a cellphone within it.

Here's all the leather remaining of the original seven square feet. It's now down to about three.



Then I cut out the circle, decreasing the remaining leather to about two.



I then poked holes around the edge (squint and you can see them); also shown is the awl I used.



And a closeup:



Then came the hard part. I soaked the leather for a couple of minutes, and threaded string and wire through the holes. I pulled the pouch shut, and worked the folds into shape. I forced the edges as flat as possible. Then, I opened it up and took the back end of my awl, and flattened all the folds manually. Then I closed it back up to dry.







It took about 36 hours for the open parts to dry, and about 72 for the folds, once I opened them up to the air.

More later as I add the belt strap and drawstrings.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Someone just shared this over on Facebook (SewDifferent group). This is beautiful and your instructions are clear. Thanks!!

Anonymous said...

And I did not only link your tutorial on the SewDifferent Facebook group but also gave it a try making 6 felt version for a Sherwood Forest birthday party of a 5 year old. Here's a pic of the result, with a link to your page so other can try their hands as well.
Thanks for posting this tutorial!
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=399199653544533&set=a.398409396956892.1073741835.385269188270913&type=1&theater