Because of a snow day, I had some free time, so I got to work some more on the helm. I cut out the rest of the top bands, but didn't do anything else to them:
I also started planishing, which is indeed quite the bore. I estimate it took about 45 minutes to completely planish one plate. Clearly, I didn't work non-stop, otherwise I would have finished all four plates. I only finished two and a quarter. Here's a picture before planishing:
And the same one after:
Here's part of the reason I didn't finish planishing: I was experimenting with rivets to find out how long I would have to cut them in order to make them uniform, and also testing my new rounding tool (a bolt with a divot in the end, which is used to hammer the peened end into a round shape). Here's a picture of the one I tested:
By the by, someone asked what gauge I was using; it is 16 gauge.
That is all. There isn't any more.
Part 1 | Part 2 | Part 3 | Part 4 | Part 5 | Part 6 | Part 7 | Part 8 | Part 9 | Part 10